Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Burro grande, ande o no ande

After Sunday's 10km run my left calf is pretty tight but the right is OK. That'll teach me for not stretching enough post race. Always have good intentions to stretch properly after a race but I never do. Very slack. That's going to have to change.

My walk was a bit funny yesterday - think shipwrecked sailor - a good opportunity to share my favourite Spanish phrase:

"Burro grande, ande o no ande"

English literal translation
(Get a) big donkey, whether it walks or not

English equivalent
Never mind the quality, feel the width

Total class.

In terms of being a big donkey my weight has been creeping up a little of late - through winter and bad habits. I'm going to post on that later this week.

Have a run planned for tommorow morning so see how it goes. It'll be an early morning silly o'clock special.

Pushups good today. Week 2, Day 2 of the 100 challenge.. Went into this listening to angry music (Linkin Park - In the End) as that seems to help.

16/13/11/11/max(at least 15). 90s of rest in between. Tried hard on the last and managed 36. Pretty happy with how its going and giving it heaps. Its during the 4th set I start to feel fatigue setting in. Enjoying the challenge!

(Photo Credit: KENT BLECHYNDEN/Dominion Post)

If you think trying for 100 pushups is masochistic spare a thought for this guy wearing a suit during the harbour capital half marathon held in Wellington on Sunday. Full story: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4592740a19716.html

"Mr Wyatt, 55, from Roseneath, said of his suit: "I needed something warmer and because I work for the government I'm completely lacking in imagination or enterprise so that's what I wore.
"It did chafe. It was comfortable until it rained." The running gag, he said, was `Are you running late for a meeting?'

How the hell can you run the half in 1:39:29 in a wet suit enduring chaffage in the swimsuit area!?!? I'm quite impressed.

When I start to hurt on the 13th July I'll be thinking "hey its not so bad at least I'm not wearing a suit...". Mind you I won't be running late for a meeting.

3 comments:

Andrew(ajh) said...

Yup, 1:39 for a half is a great time - in a suit - very, very impressive. Stupid, but impressive.

Anonymous said...

That guy is nuts!!! Damn impressive time, but nuts all the same.

btw, the food thing is just normal for everybody! I think that's the main reason we do this stuff - so we can EAT.....

Andrew is getting fit said...

I'd take that time for sure!